This lemon-scented loaf is delicious! Veal is tender and is considered a delicacy. It is sometimes hard to find ground but your butcher should be able to prepare it for you. This meatloaf is made with ground veal with mushrooms and the flavors of the famous Italian dish veal piccata.
- 1 pound ground veal
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teasooon pepper
- 1/2 lemon slices (approximately 3 slices)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix everything EXCEPT for lemon slices.
- Place mixture in a greased 9″ x 5″ loaf pan (I prefer a glass loaf pan for this)
- Gently pat down the mixture. Make sure it’s even. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Top meatloaf with three slices of lemon and bake again for about 15 minutes.
- Let it stand in the loaf pan for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.