We love fajitas in our house here! What makes this chicken fajitas recipe special is the marinade. It gives the chicken so much flavor and doesn’t dry the chicken out when it’s being seared on the flattop grill or in the cast iron pan.
- between 1.25 to 1.5 lb thick skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or any other high smoke point oil like peanut oil, safflower oil or grapeseed oil)
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced (or any other type of sweet onion)
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (I personally like using a variety of colors because it makes a pretty presentation)
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- (OPTIONAL, if you want more heat and spice) 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
Extras to go with your fajitas (the list is a suggestion, go with what you want):
- flour tortillas
- sour cream
- sliced avocado
- black beans
- shredded cheese
- Cut thick chicken breasts half horizontally. Try to make them all the equal thickness if possible.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass bowl. Place the chicken breasts in that bowl. Cover with a Saran Wrap. You can either let it marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- After marinating, wipe off the excess marinade off the chicken. Sprinkle salt on top of the chicken pieces.
- Preheat your cast iron pan or flat top grill pan on high heat for two minutes. Add in the canola oil and let it get hot.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pan/on the grill. Don’t move it around too much. Let it sit there for 3 minutes per side. You want to sear the meat.
- Stack the cooked chicken in a sheet of foil. Wrap it up. Let it rest. It will retain the heat while you cook the peppers and onions.
- Sauté the sliced peppers and onions make high heat. Let them sit undisturbed for two minutes. Again, you want to sear them a little bit.
- When the peppers and onions are ready, slice the chicken breasts into strips and serve with various sides/toppings.