Borscht soup is a staple in my home. What’s a borscht? It’s a Russian beet soup! I’ll have to warn you, it’s really yummy and healthy. You’ll need an extra large soup pot since this recipe can easily serve 10-12 people. I usually make a very large batch of this soup because my family loves it that much!
- 1 lb beef (can use any kind sirloin, stew meat, etc. You could replace with pork)
- 14 cups cold water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 large or 3 medium beets, washed, peeled and grated
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into bite size pieces
- small cabbage, cored and sliced
- Large can diced tomatoes (28oz)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp Vegeta All Purpose Seasoning (you can use your favorite kind of all purpose seasoning instead)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- Sour cream
- Wash meat in cold water, cut into small 1″ pieces and and place in a large soup pot with 14 cups cold water and 1 Tbsp salt. Bring it to a boil and remove the foam crud as soon as it boils (if you wait, it will be hard to get rid of the crud). Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Place grated beets in a large skillet with 4 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp vinegar. Salute for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add 1 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp tomato paste. Mix well. Sauté until beets soften (approx 10 mins). Remove beets from pan.
- In same skillet (don’t need to wash it), sauté diced onions in 1 Tbsp butter for few minutes. Add grated carrots and sauté for another 5-7 minutes until it’s soft. Add oil if it’s too dry.
- Once meat has cooked for 45 minutes to 1 hour, you can add diced potatoes. Let it cook for ten minutes. Then add cabbage, diced tomatoes, beets, carrots and onions to the pot. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Add Vegeta (all purpose seasoning), garlic, bay leaves, pepper and dill.
- Let it cook for another 15 or so minutes.
To serve, add a dollop of sour cream on top of the bowl.