My family loves these and this recipe is foolproof. You can even add in other things to the filling like beans or diced cooked potatoes. This recipe will yield 16 beef empanadas.
1 lb ground beef
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper **
2 teaspoons ground cumin **
2 thawed packages of 17.3 oz each frozen puff pastry
2 eggs, beaten
(** you can substitute these spices and/or herbs with whatever you want to use for your beef mixture**)
1. Add beef and garlic in skillet. Brown the ground beef and make sure it’s broken into small pieces.
2. Add tomato paste and spices. Cook and stir. For like 4 minutes or so.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Unfold the thawed pastry sheets and cut each sheet info four squares. You will have a total of 16 squares.
5. Spoon beef mixture into the center of each square. Fold edges over to form a triangle. Press down edges to seal.
6. Crimp edges with a fork.
7. Divide empanadas between two sheets.
8. Brush tops with the beaten eggs.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are puffed and golden. Enjoy!