I have made this so many times for dinner . Ryan loves this casserole and never gets tired of it. There are some changes I have made to Paula Deen’s Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole recipe. So this is my version with the revisions.
- 1 (7oz) package wild rice (I use Zatarain’s Long Grain and Wild Rice package. It is just PERFECT for this casserole!)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook the rice according to the package directions minus 1/4 cup of water. In the Zatarain’s one.. it says 2 1/4, so we just cook it with 2 cups of water instead.
- Bring 2 cups water and 1/2 tablespoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan and cook the shrimp for 1 minute. Drain immediately and set aside.
- Heat the butter in saucepan and saute the pepper and onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, soup, 1 1/2 cup of cheese, shrimp, pepper and onions. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well. Spray a casserole dish with vegetable spray (we use the 13×9 glass baking dish). Place the mixture in the dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly.