I tried this recipe last night.. it was so easy to make! Very satisifying! This is also a good recipe to throw into any weeknight rotation.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 4 cups of chicken broth (you can use the 32 ounces container of chicken broth)
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casing discarded (or if you’re lucky enough to find ground italian sausage at your supermarket)
- 2 zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and 3 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, breaking it up, over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate. Add the zucchini to the skillet and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Return the sausage to the skillet, add the remaining 1 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice along with parmesan, the parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.