Italian-style meatballs are stuffed with minature balls of mozzarella cheese. I prefer these over your regular plain meatballs.
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup flavored bread crumbs
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground veal
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1/3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 lb. mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes (or you could use Provolone cheese if you’d like)
- olive oil for frying
- about 6 cups of tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the milk and bread crumbs. Add the ground pork, veal, beef, the 1/3 cup parsley, the eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix briefly with your hands. Form the mixture into 2-inch balls. Press a mozzarella cheese cube into the center of each ball, sealing it inside.
- In a large electric skillet set on medium-high heat, heat 1/2 inch of oil until almost smoking. Add the meatballs and cook until browned, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray.
- Discard the oil in the pan. Pour the tomato sauce into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 10 minutes more.
- You can serve it over a big bowl of pasta and enjoy!