I think this particular recipe is one of the best comfort foods out there. I didn’t grow up eating Chop Suey (I suppose one could call it American Chop Suey but I am going to call this Hamburger and Macaroni). Ryan loves this and I serve this in our home at least once a month.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (or mixed chopped green onion greens and yellow onion)
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegesal or other seasoned salt (I use Lawry’s Seasoned Salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 large can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- Get a large pot of hot water heating and begin cooking the macaroni as per the directions on the macaroni package.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef in a tablespoon of olive oil on high heat. Stir only infrequently so that the ground beef has an opportunity to brown.
- In a large skillet, sauté chopped onion with a tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat. Add the ground beef and lower the heat to medium. Add Vegesal or other seasoned salt. Add celery seed. Add canned tomatoes. Add Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes. Mix in the drained and cooked macaroni and parsley. Simmer for another 5 minutes.